Instituted 1896; Affiliated 1915

 The "Golfers Guide" 1897, records the club as being "West Clare Golf Club", with this description,

"This is a nine-hole course, finely situated on the shores of Malbay.  Hazards are hills, sandpits and bents. It is free to visitors staying at the Atlantic Hotel".  

An entrance fee of two shillings and six pence with a similar annual subscription is listed. 

Further reference to golf in this area is recorded in The Sportsman’s Holiday Guide 1897 listing Miltown Malbay Golf Course and stating:

“The Course which is a nine-hole one, was laid out at considerable expense by a professional, who had varied it as much as possible. The distance around is about 2000 yards or a little over a mile… There is no clubhouse, the hotel acts as such…. Visitors other than those resident in the Hotel must make their own terms with the Manager, as there is no fixed Tariff for outsiders”.

Like so many other clubs, the early records are missing and while the Club credits its foundation to Robert B. Barclay and Capt. Ernest Ellis in 1912, it would appear golf was played here prior to 1912. With this information the Club celebrated its Centenary in 1996 with a series of events and has published a Centenary Year Book.

 

You are here: Home OUR CLUB HISTORY